In line with SPARTAN’s vision to accelerate research in the field of Spondyloarthritis and to improve the care of patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis, this seed fund opportunity will support early carer investigators who are working in the field of Axial Spondyloarthritis. The goal is to support the early stages of a research project to generate preliminary data that will support grant applications to funding agencies such as NIH.
A total of 2 grants will be supported each year (One basic/translational project and one clinical project). A maximum of $10,000 will be allocated per project per year for a total of $20,000
- Applicants must be SPARTAN members.
- Within first 5 years of starting their first faculty research position.
- Appointed at the level of Assistant Professor or Clinical Instructor (not higher)
3. Use of funds:
- The funds can be used for activities directly linked to the proposal including expendables, services or salary/stipend of fellows or technicians. The funds cannot be used for salary support of the PI.
- 8% limit on overhead/indirects
Within a maximum of 5 pages, include the following sections in your application.
- Signed Cover Page with Title of the project, applicant contact information and supporting signature of the head of your institution (Research Director or Dean).
- Description – Abstract, Specific Aims, Preliminary results / Supporting Literature and Methods.
- Brief Budget justification (Max 250 words)
- Time line
- Figures and References may be added as appendix (Combined maximum 2 pages)
- BioSketch: Max 5 pages with publications from last 5 years.
- Letter of Support – from the Institution (stating availability of resources and space for the proposed project)
5. Submission deadlines:
The complete package must be completed electronically by 12:00 noon EST on March 31, 2019.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The scientific committee of SPARTAN and the peer review committee for this competition will review applications. Results will be announced to the applicants on April 28, 2019. The results will be announced to the membership at the annual SPARTAN meeting in Madison.
Grant recipients must acknowledge SPARTAN in any presentations or publications related to the project. In oral or poster presentations, the SPARTAN logo must be displayed.
Recipients must present their proposal at the annual SPARTAN meeting to be held in Madison from May 2-4, 2019.
A post activity report must be submitted via email to SPARTAN within 6 months of completing each one-year grant period. Reports are mandatory for applicants’ continued participation in future SPARTAN competitions.
Contact for more details:
Nigil Haroon, MD, PhD, DM
Chair, Scientific Committee
Clinician Scientist, University Health Network,
Toronto, ON. M5T 2S8
Phone: 416-603-5634 | Fax: 416-603-4348