To fulfill our mission (“to advance research and education to improve the care of patients with spondyloarthritis”), SPARTAN invites researchers and health care professionals interested in spondyloarthritis to join the organization and participate in SPARTAN activities. While most SPARTAN members are rheumatologists, we welcome representatives of other specialties involved in the care of patients with spondyloarthritis including but not limited to musculoskeletal radiologists, ophthalmologists, and physical therapists.
SPARTAN is a North American organization. We do not accept membership applications from countries other than USA, Canada and Mexico. SPARTAN members cannot be full time employees of a pharmaceutical company.
SPARTAN has 3 categories of members: FULL members, ASSOCIATE members, TRAINEE members. FULL members are actively engaged in spondyloarthritis research, spondyloarthritis education and/or have a major focus on spondyloarthritis patient care. ASSOCIATE and TRAINEE membership only requires a stated interest in spondyloarthritis.
Applicants for FULL membership must have a track record in spondyloarthritis research, education and/or patient care. Examples include:
- publication of primary research relevant to spondyloarthritis
- research grants related to spondyloarthritis
- participation (in a substantial role) in spondyloarthritis research projects
- leadership in spondyloarthritis education of health care professionals (e.g. review articles, book chapters, development of CME programs)
- leadership in patient education (e.g. working with patient organizations to develop educational content, giving talks to patient groups)
- clinical activities with a major focus on spondyloarthritis (e.g. running a spondyloarthritis clinic)
FULL members may serve on the SPARTAN Board of Directors or as SPARTAN committee chairs. Regular participation in annual meetings (≥ 3 in 5 years) is expected. FULL membership status is reviewed every 5 years. Members who do not meet criteria for FULL membership anymore but would like to remain in the organization may become ASSOCIATE members. Retired FULL members are exempt from the need to continuously meet criteria for FULL membership.
Professionals with an interest in spondyloarthritis research, education and/or patient care may apply for ASSOCIATE membership. ASSOCIATE members are expected to actively participate in SPARTAN activities. ASSOCIATE members may apply for FULL membership at any time provided they meet criteria. There is no time limit for ASSOCIATE membership, though attestation of continued interest in spondyloarthritis and SPARTAN membership is requested every 5 years.
Students (undergraduate, Master, PhD, medical), physicians in training (residents, clinical fellows) and postdoctoral research fellows with an interest in spondyloarthritis may join SPARTAN as TRAINEE members. TRAINEE membership is limited to the duration of training with a grace period of one year after completion of the last training position.
|Requirements for application||Established track record in SpA research, education, patient care||Interest in SpA research, education, patient care||Interest in SpA research, education, patient care AND enrolled in a training position|
|Letter of support from FULL member for initial application||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Membership maintenance||Review every 5 years||Review every 5 years||Ends with training status|
|Annual meeting attendance||Required (≥ 3 in 5 years)||Encouraged||Encouraged|
|Board of Directors eligibility||Yes||–||–|
|Committee chair eligibility||Yes||–||–|
|Committee service eligibility||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- Applications for membership are submitted online.
- The application package for new members includes a statement describing the applicant’s interest in spondyloarthritis, curriculum vitae and a letter of support from a current SPARTAN FULL member (the SPARTAN sponsor). No letter of support is required for ASSOCIATE members applying for FULL membership or TRAINEE members applying at the end of their training for ASSOCIATE or FULL membership.
- New membership applications are reviewed quarterly by the SPARTAN Governance Committee. Acceptance of new members requires a simple majority of Yes votes from the Governance Committee members. Applicants whose application is denied may appeal the decision. Appeals will be forwarded to the Board of Directors for discussion and final decision.